From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] PORTAGE_NICENESS
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:59:14
1 On Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good setting for
3 > PORTAGE_NICENESS that would allow some compiles in the background
4 > without drastically effecting MythTV? Or is there some better way to
5 > do this with other software?
6 >
7 > I've fiddled around with renicing mythfrontend but even going to -15
8 > didn't seem to help that much. Seems better to just make the compiles
9 > slower and more friendly.
10 >
11 > Note that this seems somewhat worse under the newest -rt kernel -
12 > 2.6.21.4-rt12-cfs-v17. I may need to back up and see if the previous
13 > one I was running was any better.
14 >
15 > Thanks in advance,
16 > Mark
19 set it to +19
20
21 not only does it free lots of CPU cycles for everybody else, they are
22 also 'batch scheduled' which should be good for compiling.
23
24 read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sched-desing.txt
25
26 quote:
27 - batch scheduling. A significant proportion of computing-intensive tasks
28 benefit from batch-scheduling, where timeslices are long and processes
29 are roundrobin scheduled. The new scheduler does such batch-scheduling
30 of the lowest priority tasks - so nice +19 jobs will get
31 'batch-scheduled' automatically. With this scheduler, nice +19 jobs are
32 in essence SCHED_IDLE, from an interactiveness point of view.
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list