From: Petter Haggholm <petter@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Weird and unpredictable problem: emerge grinds system to a halt
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:27:03
1 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Petter Haggholm wrote:
3 >
4 >> The subject is fairly descriptive. Often -- but not always -- an
5 >> emerge will render my system unusable. At a PORTAGE_NICENESS of 3, and
6 >> fairly standard MAKEOPTS of "-j2" (on a single-core system), I'm ...
7 >> well, rather surprised, confused, and very frustrated. I also can't be
8 >> very specific, because I have no real idea of what's causing this, and
9 >> the symptoms are very general: The system becomes unresponsive, the
10 >> mouse will move but with enough of a lag that physically moving it may
11 >> not cause a cursor movement for the next 30 seconds or so, clicking a
12 >> taskbar window may not have an effect at all; sometimes I can't even
13 >> ssh into the system from my other computer (to kill the emerge)
14 >> because it's slow enough that the ssh daemon times out my login
15 >> attempt. This never used to happen, I'm not aware of using any weird
16 >> settings, I recently rebuilt my entire system with conservative CFLAGS
17 >> (-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer), and I have an x86
18 >> (pentium-m) system with very, very similar settings that exhibits no
19 >> such problems.
20 >>
21 >> Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions would be very much welcomed.
22 >> System info follows.
25 > 1) Does the system go out from this state after some time or you have to
26 > cold reset it?
27 > 2) What happens if you put PORTAGE_NICENESS=19, MAKEOPTS of "-j2 -l1" ?
28 > l5 (small "L", not the number "one"), means "loadavg=<1" If loadavg goes
29 > up to 1 make waits this level to drop before continuing its job
30 > 3) Is DMA enabled for your HDD(s)? (hdparm -d1 /dev/xxx)?
31 > 4) Have you done any overclocking?
32
33 1) It does eventually, but it can take a long time. If I have work to
34 do, I generally can't afford to outwait it. If I run an overnight build,
35 the system will be fine in the morning, but some apps will typically
36 have died (killed by GNOME for not responding? I don't know; usually
37 Thunderbird will die, and sometimes Firefox as well -- thank heavens for
38 Tab Mix Plus and session crash recovery.
39 2) I did not know of make's -l option, but -l1 seems like a very
40 reasonable setting -- I will try that when I don't need to be working
41 (hopefully later tonight) and see what it does for me. Thanks!
42 3) Yep, both hard drives have DMA enabled.
43 4) Not an overclocker; I value stability much higher than performance.
44
45 Without having tried it yet -- I need to finish some work first -- I'm
46 curious about the MAKEOPTS thing, especially -j?. The other reply (so
47 far) in this thread suggests -j1 and asserts that "[-j2] has no sense
48 anyway, if you have no multicore or don't use distcc...". This is in
49 contrast to all the recommended settings I have seen so far -- standard
50 procedure seems to be -j$(no. cores+1), I presume so that one make
51 process can do some CPU work while the other is I/O bound? I suppose one
52 could keep the system more responsive at the cost of longer compiles by
53 running only one make process, but I have never heard of anyone else
54 having problems with -j2 on a single-core system ...
55
56 (In the hope that you're reading this, too, Pawel -- I don't think I
57 need to spam the list with an extra reply to so short an email -- I
58 don't use KDE at all, so the kdeenablefinal flag doesn't really matter
59 anymore; it's a leftover from a time long gone when I used some packages
60 that pulled in KDE dependencies. I do use gcc 4[.1.1[-r1]], of course,
61 but it's working fine with -j2 on my [x86] server and [x86] laptop.)
64 Petter Häggholm
65 --
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list