From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Weird and unpredictable problem: emerge grinds system to a halt
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:34:03
1 Petter Haggholm wrote:
2 > The subject is fairly descriptive. Often -- but not always -- an
3 > emerge will render my system unusable. At a PORTAGE_NICENESS of 3, and
4 > fairly standard MAKEOPTS of "-j2" (on a single-core system), I'm ...
5 > well, rather surprised, confused, and very frustrated. I also can't be
6 > very specific, because I have no real idea of what's causing this, and
7 > the symptoms are very general: The system becomes unresponsive, the
8 > mouse will move but with enough of a lag that physically moving it may
9 > not cause a cursor movement for the next 30 seconds or so, clicking a
10 > taskbar window may not have an effect at all; sometimes I can't even
11 > ssh into the system from my other computer (to kill the emerge)
12 > because it's slow enough that the ssh daemon times out my login
13 > attempt. This never used to happen, I'm not aware of using any weird
14 > settings, I recently rebuilt my entire system with conservative CFLAGS
15 > (-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer), and I have an x86
16 > (pentium-m) system with very, very similar settings that exhibits no
17 > such problems.
18 >
19 > Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions would be very much welcomed.
20 > System info follows.
21 >
22 1) Does the system go out from this state after some time or you have to
23 cold reset it?
24 2) What happens if you put PORTAGE_NICENESS=19, MAKEOPTS of "-j2 -l1" ?
25 l5 (small "L", not the number "one"), means "loadavg=<1" If loadavg goes
26 up to 1 make waits this level to drop before continuing its job
27 3) Is DMA enabled for your HDD(s)? (hdparm -d1 /dev/xxx)?
28 4) Have you done any overclocking?
31 Best regards,
32 Daniel
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list