From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: BT8x8
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:21:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Wow ... quit a bit to absorb ... Forgive me if these next set of
5 questions sound a bit dumb ...
6
7 Will kaffeine and/or kmplayer know to use my /dev/video0 device? I
8 tried getting (g)mplayer to do this and for the life of me, I could
9 not figure out how to make it use that device :/
10
11 I've got a fair amount of experience in setting up X to Play video's
12 (of various sizes, lengths and formats) and for getting 3D games such
13 as Doom3/UT/Q3A (Btw, all these games work flawlessly for me, I get
14 good hardware audio support and all the games are usually played on
15 the highest settings. The exception being Doom3, I play one step down,
16 too many objects moving at once on screen tends to bog down my
17 AMD64/X2 4200+ (2.2GHz/ea). But my question is this, XVIDEO/XV/OpenGL
18 are all prerequisites of these games. If they are working for the
19 games, then shouldn't the overlay's be working for my TV Card as well?
24 Duncan wrote:
25 > Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net> posted
26 > 47B66180.3000001@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 15 Feb
27 > 2008 23:07:28 -0500:
28 >
29 >> xawtv gives me a window and when I right click, I can choose what
30 >> format and region and all that jazz, but I get no picture.
31 >>
32 >> tvtime produces the following error:
33 >
34 > [reformatted]
35 >> *** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video
36 >> card driver. [...] If unsure, please check with your
37 >> distribution to see if your *** X driver supports hardware
38 >> overlay surfaces.
39 >
40 > I don't touch proprietaryware so talk to someone else about that or
41 > try the newest free drivers, which are supposed to support the R3xx
42 > series chips including 3D.
43 >
44 > However, I can say this based on video behavior in general (and it
45 > worked the same on MSWormOS 98, with Nvidia hardware when I first
46 > switched to Linux, and now with the Radeon R200 series stuff I'm
47 > running now as it was the newest with freedomare 3D support for
48 > awhile, so this would appear to be platform independent)...
49 >
50 > When the overlay is working properly, particularly when there's
51 > nothing playing, it should be quite apparent it's not a standard
52 > window. The overlay will normally be blue-screen (tho I've rarely
53 > seen pink or orange or red, but always solid color), and doesn't
54 > obey normal window rules (no transparency, often no resizing, etc),
55 > as it's an "overlay".
56 >
57 > Overlays are definitely a feature of the hardware. Most video
58 > cards will have it, but some won't have the functionality exposed
59 > in the drivers. If you don't have it, anything that must use it, no
60 > other choice, will be broken on your system.
61 >
62 > Fortunately, while it tends to be the lowest CPU most efficient
63 > method of playing video, most software video players and the like
64 > have other choices as well. The overlay option is Xv, but most
65 > software can use one or more of standard surface mapping, OpenGL,
66 > xshm (generally more efficient than standard surface mapping, less
67 > than Xv), or SDL video rendering. (Of course SDL can in turn use
68 > OpenGL and a couple others.)
69 >
70 > Unfortunately, a lot (perhaps most?) TV capture hardware must use
71 > the overlay, no other choice for it. That's reasonable as it's
72 > definitely most efficient and least complicated for the hardware to
73 > access, but if your video hardware or drivers don't support it,
74 > your SOL.
75 >
76 > So what I'd suggest is confirming that your video hardware and
77 > drivers support it, then trying with something like kaffeine or
78 > kmplayer (the video players I use). If you can get the overlay
79 > working there, then you at least know it's working before you try
80 > to get the TV capture hardware going.
81 >
82 > As for your video drivers, as I said, the R3xx chip family is
83 > supposed to be supported with the newest open drivers, but I don't
84 > believe the 3D at least is fully stable, yet. Hmm... just checked,
85 > they've updated, it now says "quite stable", but that's still not
86 > just "stable". This is with pre-release xf86-video-ati (Gentoo
87 > package name) 6.7.19x (upstream version) with Mesa 7.0.x.
88 >
89 > Gentoo's packages, mesa-7.0.2 is ~arch (and I have it merged here),
90 > xf86- video-ati-6.7.197 is ~arch but hard-masked:
91 >
92 > # Joshua Baergen <joshuabaergen@g.o> (27 Mar 2007) # Release
93 > candidate ATI driver
94 >
95 > So you can try unmasking it and see how it goes if you want. As I
96 > said, upstream calls it "quite stable" now, so it should work, tho
97 > there'll be further changes as it continues to develop and fully
98 > stabilize.
99 >
100 > Some Radeon links from the x.org and dri.freedesktop.org wikis.
101 > The first links the second but the link tends to get lost on the
102 > page, so I put it here, too. The second is a portal page, with a
103 > bunch of links to other resources, some of which look quite
104 > encouraging.
105 >
106 > http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon?highlight=%28radeon%29
107 > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300_Portal
108 >
109 > I'm /guessing/ that with the free drivers, you'll have overlay
110 > support without much problem. If not, at least with them you'll be
111 > able to get community support, something that's not so easy to get
112 > (or give) when the driver's a not so well supported black-box. Of
113 > course, you can check the documentation and/or ask and see. (As I
114 > said, I don't do proprietary, but if I were to do so, I'd certainly
115 > do NVidia, as at least they have decent Linux support even if it is
116 > proprietary. ATI Linux support of their closed drivers has always
117 > been patchy at best, and of course the community can't support them
118 > as they are closed. At least ATI's working with the community on
119 > open drivers now as you're probably aware, but it's going to be a
120 > good year before stable drivers come out of that project.)
121 >
132 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list