From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: BT8x8
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:15:08
1 Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net> posted
2 47B66180.3000001@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 15 Feb 2008
3 23:07:28 -0500:
4
5 > xawtv gives me a window and when I right click, I can choose what format
6 > and region and all that jazz, but I get no picture.
7 >
8 > tvtime produces the following error:
9
10 [reformatted]
11 > *** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your
12 > video card driver. [...] If unsure, please check with your
13 > distribution to see if your *** X driver supports
14 > hardware overlay surfaces.
15
16 I don't touch proprietaryware so talk to someone else about that or try
17 the newest free drivers, which are supposed to support the R3xx series
18 chips including 3D.
19
20 However, I can say this based on video behavior in general (and it worked
21 the same on MSWormOS 98, with Nvidia hardware when I first switched to
22 Linux, and now with the Radeon R200 series stuff I'm running now as it
23 was the newest with freedomare 3D support for awhile, so this would
24 appear to be platform independent)...
25
26 When the overlay is working properly, particularly when there's nothing
27 playing, it should be quite apparent it's not a standard window. The
28 overlay will normally be blue-screen (tho I've rarely seen pink or orange
29 or red, but always solid color), and doesn't obey normal window rules (no
30 transparency, often no resizing, etc), as it's an "overlay".
31
32 Overlays are definitely a feature of the hardware. Most video cards will
33 have it, but some won't have the functionality exposed in the drivers.
34 If you don't have it, anything that must use it, no other choice, will be
35 broken on your system.
36
37 Fortunately, while it tends to be the lowest CPU most efficient method of
38 playing video, most software video players and the like have other
39 choices as well. The overlay option is Xv, but most software can use one
40 or more of standard surface mapping, OpenGL, xshm (generally more
41 efficient than standard surface mapping, less than Xv), or SDL video
42 rendering. (Of course SDL can in turn use OpenGL and a couple others.)
43
44 Unfortunately, a lot (perhaps most?) TV capture hardware must use the
45 overlay, no other choice for it. That's reasonable as it's definitely
46 most efficient and least complicated for the hardware to access, but if
47 your video hardware or drivers don't support it, your SOL.
48
49 So what I'd suggest is confirming that your video hardware and drivers
50 support it, then trying with something like kaffeine or kmplayer (the
51 video players I use). If you can get the overlay working there, then you
52 at least know it's working before you try to get the TV capture hardware
53 going.
54
55 As for your video drivers, as I said, the R3xx chip family is supposed to
56 be supported with the newest open drivers, but I don't believe the 3D at
57 least is fully stable, yet. Hmm... just checked, they've updated, it now
58 says "quite stable", but that's still not just "stable". This is with
59 pre-release xf86-video-ati (Gentoo package name) 6.7.19x (upstream
60 version) with Mesa 7.0.x.
61
62 Gentoo's packages, mesa-7.0.2 is ~arch (and I have it merged here), xf86-
63 video-ati-6.7.197 is ~arch but hard-masked:
64
65 # Joshua Baergen <joshuabaergen@g.o> (27 Mar 2007)
66 # Release candidate ATI driver
67
68 So you can try unmasking it and see how it goes if you want. As I said,
69 upstream calls it "quite stable" now, so it should work, tho there'll be
70 further changes as it continues to develop and fully stabilize.
71
72 Some Radeon links from the x.org and dri.freedesktop.org wikis. The
73 first links the second but the link tends to get lost on the page, so I
74 put it here, too. The second is a portal page, with a bunch of links to
75 other resources, some of which look quite encouraging.
76
77 http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon?highlight=%28radeon%29
78 http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300_Portal
79
80 I'm /guessing/ that with the free drivers, you'll have overlay support
81 without much problem. If not, at least with them you'll be able to get
82 community support, something that's not so easy to get (or give) when the
83 driver's a not so well supported black-box. Of course, you can check the
84 documentation and/or ask and see. (As I said, I don't do proprietary, but
85 if I were to do so, I'd certainly do NVidia, as at least they have decent
86 Linux support even if it is proprietary. ATI Linux support of their
87 closed drivers has always been patchy at best, and of course the
88 community can't support them as they are closed. At least ATI's working
89 with the community on open drivers now as you're probably aware, but it's
90 going to be a good year before stable drivers come out of that project.)
95 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
98 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list