From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 3200+ -> X2 4000+
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:55:54
1 on 07/12/2007 01:17 PM Bernhard Auzinger wrote the following:
2 >>>> bogomips : 3611.22
3 >>>> TLB size : 1024 4K pages
4 >>>>
5 >>>> bogomips : 1603.39
6 >>>> TLB size : 1024 4K pages
7 >>>>
8 >>>> 2) Just curious: Why is there such a big difference between the 2 CPUs'
9 >>>> bogomips values reported?
10 >>>> --
11 >>>> gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
12 >> --
13 >> Piotr
14 >
15 > There has to be no difference between the two cores on dual-core processors.
16 > That's because the bogomips-benchmark is a "calculated" benchmark that
17 > depends mostly on the clock frequency and since the two cores on dual-core
18 > athlons/opterons use the same clock, it's not possible to have different
19 > values on that type of dual-core processor. I've absolutely identical values
20 > (4825.77 bogomips) for both cores of my Athlon64 X2 4600+.
21 >
22 > If you have two processors (f.ex. two single-cores) on your mainboard, than
23 > you will have two slightly different values because of the slightly different
24 > clock of the two processors. In your case it seems that the second processor
25 > has a decreased clock. I'm sure you have enabled cool'n'quiet.
26 >
27 > Rgds
28
29 Actually I had never changed the CPUs freq/governor states, and they
30 were set to 800MHz/userspace.
31 After I changed their state using gnome applet, and from then on, the
32 two CPUs' bogomips values where equal.
33 For governor set to performance here they are:
34 #cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep -E 'proc|MHz|bogomips'
35 processor : 0
36 cpu MHz : 1800.000
37 bogomips : 8125.24
38 processor : 1
39 cpu MHz : 1800.000
40 bogomips : 8125.24
41
42 However, if I boot into M$ windblows (dual boot system), then boot into
43 linux without touching the CPUs' freq/gov state the MHz/bogomips values
44 are changed back to:
45 processor : 0
46 cpu MHz : 800.000
47 bogomips : 3611.94
48 processor : 1
49 cpu MHz : 800.000
50 bogomips : 1603.39
51
52 The 800 MHz is because I have compiled with
53 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
54 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list