From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:59:20
1 On Montag 24 August 2009, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
2 > szalkai@×××××××.net schrieb:
3 > > Now that this exciting little flamewar has finished, and everybody is
4 > > friends again :), could you Duncan please give some examples of major
5 > > breakage in KDE4?
6 >
7 > I'm not Duncan but I have 5 reasons not to switch to kde4 atm.
8 >
9 > 1) Speed: I have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ with
10 > 8GB of ram and a Radeon HD 3600 card but still kde 4.3 most of the time
11 > feels like walking through mud.
12
13 turn of composite or install a xorg-server with the
14 fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch and see kde fly.
17 > 2) Crashes: kde 4.3 crashes way to often, sometimes it even brings X to
18 > its knees. Kde 3.5.10 is solid as a rock.
19
20 I had never seen a 'bring down X' crash. There have been some konqueror
21 crashes in the past - but the same is true for 3.5. Compared with 3.2 or 3.4
22 4.3 is a lot more stable (for me).
25 > 3) Screen-setup: I have to monitores connected to my pc static in xorg
26 > as two seperated displays :0.0 and :0.1. If I start kde <4.4-svn I have
27 > both screens on my main monitor and the second is just as good as dead.
28 > There is a patch for this in svn (or is it git now?) and as much as I
29 > can say by testing a few live-builds this point will be gone by next
30 > release.
31
32 ok, sounds like a genuine stupid bug. Can't even fixed with krandrtray?
35 > 4) Design: I have a very small design with two small bars at the bottom
36 > and on the right side. I can't create a design in kde4.x so far that
37 > consumes as few space on my monitor as i have it in kde 3.
38
39 but you know that you can make the plasma bar very small - and add a couple of
40 them to the desktop?
43 > The fifth point on my list is that many of the functions and (3rd party)
44 > kde programms I use day by day aren't there yet at all or only with lack
45 > of functions and mostly in late alpha-state: k3b, amarok, kdevelop,
46 > kvirc to just name a few.
47
48 I haven't found anything missing in k3b or amarok - and I don't use kdevelop
49 or kvirc. What are you missing from k3b?
52 > The last reason I stick with kde 3.5.10 for a while is that working with
53 > kde 4.x just doesn't feel right. Switching to kde4 is like switching to
54 > a completly different DE. KDE 4 isn't kde anymore, it is something
55 > absolutly different that calls itself kde.
56
57 people said the same when going from 1.1 to 2.0 and 2.2 to 3.0....
58
59 The only two things that I really disliked about kde 4.X is the new
60 'systemsettings' - I liked kcontrol. Very much. And akonadi creeping into
61 everything.