From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:52:07
1 szalkai@×××××××.net schrieb:
2 > Now that this exciting little flamewar has finished, and everybody is
3 > friends again :), could you Duncan please give some examples of major
4 > breakage in KDE4?
5
6 I'm not Duncan but I have 5 reasons not to switch to kde4 atm.
7
8 1) Speed: I have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ with
9 8GB of ram and a Radeon HD 3600 card but still kde 4.3 most of the time
10 feels like walking through mud.
11
12 2) Crashes: kde 4.3 crashes way to often, sometimes it even brings X to
13 its knees. Kde 3.5.10 is solid as a rock.
14
15 3) Screen-setup: I have to monitores connected to my pc static in xorg
16 as two seperated displays :0.0 and :0.1. If I start kde <4.4-svn I have
17 both screens on my main monitor and the second is just as good as dead.
18 There is a patch for this in svn (or is it git now?) and as much as I
19 can say by testing a few live-builds this point will be gone by next
20 release.
21
22 4) Design: I have a very small design with two small bars at the bottom
23 and on the right side. I can't create a design in kde4.x so far that
24 consumes as few space on my monitor as i have it in kde 3.
25
26 The fifth point on my list is that many of the functions and (3rd party)
27 kde programms I use day by day aren't there yet at all or only with lack
28 of functions and mostly in late alpha-state: k3b, amarok, kdevelop,
29 kvirc to just name a few.
30
31 The last reason I stick with kde 3.5.10 for a while is that working with
32 kde 4.x just doesn't feel right. Switching to kde4 is like switching to
33 a completly different DE. KDE 4 isn't kde anymore, it is something
34 absolutly different that calls itself kde.
35
36 Greetings
37
38 Sebastian Beßler