From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problems compiling on Sun Java workstation with dual Opterons.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:33:38
1 Craig Webster posted <1256A32E-EDAC-4792-B229-57AF3B2AA9C3@××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:26:18 +0100:
3
4 > I've only just finished installing and am emerging my apps and
5 > getting these hangs on 2.6.13-r3 as well. I'm running an SMP enabled
6 > kernel although oddly the HyperThreading CPU isn't showing up (it did
7 > on the LiveCD).
8 >
9 > Anyone got any ideas what I left out? I can't currently post
10 > my .config but will get that tomorrow if needed.
11
12 Hyperthreading? AMD64 CPUs don't need nor should they be configured with
13 that. If you have an Intel, with it's deeper pipeline, some of /them/ use
14 hyperthreading.
15
16 Assuming it IS an Intel...
17
18 You probably enabled SMP (symmetric multi-processing support) but not SMT
19 (Symmetric multi-threading --- Hyperthreading) scheduler support. The
20 latter is a suboption of the former, only available if SMP is enabled.
21
22 Those options are under processor type and features under make menuconfig,
23 the symbol in .config is CONFIG_SCHED_SMT. Again, it should be disabled
24 for true AMD64s, possibly enabled for certain Intel CPUs.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
30 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list