From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 or 32?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:01:50
1 Thierry de Coulon, mused, then expounded:
2 > Hello,
5 > - for what I'd like to do with video (ripping and converting DVDs and DV
6 > processing) 64 bit software is not ready: I did not check directly if
7 > transcode works, but DVDRip would not start.
8
9 DVDrip and transcode work fine for me under 64-bit. While there are
10 issuse with 32-bit only codecs, they can be worked around in multiple
11 ways, including a 32-bit chroot environment.
12
13 Try adding the following for video output - "-vo sdl"
14
15 It solves some of the issues.
18 > - regarding audio, 64bit is not an issue. Ripping the CD allready took more
19 > time than converting to ogg on my dual Athlon.
20
21 I suggest that something is set up incorrectly or your comparision is off for some
22 reason. Though, the Opterons do transfer a full 64-bit word containing a 32-bit
23 value for each audio packet. In general, I've not seen my dual Opteron to be
24 slower than the dual AthlonMP I ran. Converting to ogg with grip, is faster
25 on my dual Opteron system.
28 > - standard desktop applications, as far as I am concerned, heavily rely on
29 > OpenOffice.org and that is still 32 bit
30
31 Desktop apps are fine at 16-bit. Why go to 32-bit?
32
33 > - gaming also requires 32bit
36 Perhaps you don't run the 64-bit version of ut2004 or doom3?
37
38 > So I am thinking that a 32bit Gentoo is the way to go. I may switch to 64bit
39 > later, when it really (?) brings something
40 >
41 > Does anyone have other arguments to justify the troubles of working with a
42 > 64bit install at the moment?
45 Simple, at 64-bit, one can run both 64-bit apps and 32-bit apps. At 32-bit,
46 one can only run 32-bit apps. And 64-bit apps will take advantage of the
47 extra register set. A 64-bit kernel provides a faster os due to being more
48 efficient, and having access to the extra registers.
49
50 In gentoo the make.conf CFLAGS becomes - "-mach=k8", while for 32-bit, both
51 "-mach=k7" and the USE flags - mmx, sse, sse2, (perhaps) sse3, 3dnow, and
52 3dnowext, all need to be set. Otherwise, your performance suffers when doing
53 video.
54
55 Bob
56 -