From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: elog mail
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:34:29
1 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 200803071702.12210.gentoo@××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Fri, 07
3 Mar 2008 17:02:12 +0000:
4
5 > I used to have mail sent to my internet account for uploading with my
6 > normal mail without having an mta installed. For some time now I have
7 > had the header sent but no body to the mail.
8
9 OK, I know you've posted this a couple times with no reply so far. I've
10 been hoping someone with a bit better info than I would step forward, but
11 no one has...
12
13 I have a local hacked together solution for some of my admin mail,
14 bypassing the Internet, simply using a script to dump it in a local
15 maildir folder I have kmail set to check (the script puts it in proper
16 maildir format). I have it working for cron, and did a bit of work to
17 get it working for something else (IDR what), but do NOT use it for
18 portage, as I have its logging setup differently (logging to a local dir
19 and with the summary at the end, which is what I mainly use).
20
21 I just thought it ridiculous that I had to run a full local mail setup
22 and/or send the mail round trip to my ISP and back (it's admin mail,
23 better it's not sent via unencrypted Internet mail at all!), just to
24 arrange for a local application to have something appear in kmail, when
25 kmail can be set to check a local maildir, so I setup a script that made
26 it happen!
27
28 Anyway, if you are up for a bit of hacking and know bash, working
29 together and starting from what I already have, we can almost certainly
30 get it working for portage as well.
31
32 Or simply do what I did and setup the logging so portage produces a
33 summary at the end, and logs messages to a local dir as well, in case
34 they are needed for reference after the end-summary is gone. I should be
35 able to help with that as well, if it'll do what you need.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list