From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] conversion sda to lvm2 questions
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:18:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Beso wrote:
5 > so if i understood right i have to go with /boot and a stripped / on
6 > normal disks, with / duplicated to avoid loss of startup.
7
8 Uh - unless you don't have enough space on one drive I'd mirror root -
9 not stripe it. Ditto for boot - if you are willing to do raid you can
10 boot a mirrored /boot just fine.
11
12 > on root i should put /lib32 /lib64 /etc /bin /sbin /root /dev /usr
13 > (excluded /usr/src and /usr/local and /usr/portage) /var (i should
14 > exclude /var/tmp which contains a lot of stuff due to ccache dir
15 > configured there and /var/paludis since there i have the additional
16 > repos) then on the lvm volume i should insert everything else. am i
17 > right?
18
19 Well, you could do that, but /usr and /var can go on LVM instead, and
20 that will save you a LOT of space on /. You can then resize /usr and
21 /var at will. I like to keep /var on a separate filesystem so that it
22 doesn't tend to fragment everything else.
23
24 > i wonder what happens to /proc and /sys since they are loaded
25 > through fstab and on how much space i should have. do 5gb do the trick?
26
27 /proc and /sys don't use any real disk space - they're just mountpoints.
28 I have a 1GB root and it is only 30% full - but again I put usr and var
29 elsewhere.
30
31 > i don't use suspend to disk since the last time i've tried it didn't
32 > worked with my notebook and the only suspend i can use is suspend to ram
33 > so i don't really need swap. i use it only when i compile some large
34 > stuff as kdelibs and similar since my 860+mb of ram do not fill in
35 > everyday use.
36
37 Well, I won't start a big discussion on this here (look in the archives
38 for some good discussion on this topic). The short version is that
39 there are potential benefits for having swap even if you have 200GB of
40 RAM and only run 50MB worth of applications (the returns probably do go
41 away if you actually have more RAM than total storage).
42
43 > so the only think to do is find a good backup utility that is able to
44 > make a copy of the entire system. if i copy the system by hand from a
45 > live-cd would that work? if so, what should i avoid to copy?
48 You can just copy files from a live CD. Actually, I've copied them from
49 a running system - granted in single-user mode for the more critical
50 stuff. I just used cp -a without much issue, but there might be some
51 advantages to using tar (it might handle stuff like mountpoints and hard
52 links and device nodes and FIFOs and stuff like that better - I'm not
53 sure about that offhand).
54
55 If you copy and leave the original data intact it is pretty easy to
56 recover. I just moved data partition by partition and remounted on my
57 existing root as I went along - slowly transforming my existing disk
58 arrangement into my future setup. I didn't have too much downtime
59 except for the final cutover of the root filesystem.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature