From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Changing the displayed character sets
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:11:49
1 Small correction:
2
3 On Monday 29 Jan 2007, I wrote:
4
5 > Until recently I was setting my consoles to use en_GB.ISO-8859-1, and a
6 > zero had a central dot; whereas, since I switched to en_GB.UTF-8 the dot
7 > has been replaced with a diagonal bar like a solidus.
8
9 That's not quite correct. In fact, the central dot belongs to lat9w-16 and
10 the diagonal bar belongs to default8x16.
11
12 > Possibly, another character set exists already that I could use instead of
13 > what I have, but the prospect of trying all those available
14 > under /usr/share/consolefonts fills me with dread.
15
16 I found that there aren't too many different types after all, and after
17 trying all the ones that look likely, I find they all have this artificial
18 device to distinguish 0 from O.
19
20 > In delightful contrast with the VCs, konsole uses a much clearer character
21 > set, but I can't use that on an X-less system.
22
23 That too is wrong - 0 and O look identical in konsole.
24
25 Sorry about the confusion.
28 Rgds
29 Peter