From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: java plugin amd64
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 01:16:41
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560811061155q6702cf7au78247cf780ea9428@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:55:40 +0000:
4
5 > java nsplugin 64bit -> icedtea6 from java-overlay. you still need to
6 > have the original jdk since the gcj cannot build it now. see flameeyes
7 > webblog for info on how icedtea still fails. as for flash there isn't
8 > still any real good firefox plugin. gnash doesn't play a thing.
9
10 A second on the flameeyes' blog recommendation.
11
12 As for flash, I've had some luck with the swfdec package (perhaps still
13 in the sunrise overlay?), but it seemed /very/ touchy on build-order.
14 Between firefox, swfdec, swfdec-mozilla, and perhaps a couple other
15 packages, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, depending on whether
16 the merge order happened to be correct or not. Unfortunately, revdep-
17 rebuild didn't help either; it said everything was fine.
18
19 So eventually I gave up on swfdec, in particular because my normal
20 browser is konqueror anyway tho I have iceweasel/firefox merged, and
21 swfdec didn't seem to work with konqueror at all. Now, I just use kde-
22 misc/youtube-servicemenu to download the file (as mp4) and play with
23 kaffeine, and don't worry about flash anywhere else. Occasionally the
24 service menu gets the URL wrong somehow, but it hasn't been a big deal
25 for me. Another alternative, for firefox, is the DownloadHelper
26 extension. It works more broadly than just youtube, but is nagware, and
27 since I don't use iceweasel/firefox regularly anyway, I prefer the
28 konqueror-servicemenu solution for most of my youtube watching.
29
30 But as I said, swfdec seemed to work way better than gnash for me, but it
31 was very dependent on the right merge order for various packages, and I
32 never resolved the magic packages and order necessary to remerge in to
33 get it to work reliably when it broke. It worked at least on youtube
34 100%, however, when it worked. But when it didn't, I didn't know what to
35 do to fix it, except that eventually, it would start working again, when
36 the order was again correct.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman