From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Rsync server performance problem solved
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:41:53
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200708051113.34894.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 05 Aug
3 2007 11:13:34 +0100:
4
5 > It turns out that the 256 MB of RAM in the server wasn't enough, since
6 > as soon as I put in another GB it just flew - about one or two seconds
7 > now for file list transfer, which is a factor of 50 or 100 better.
8 >
9 > The box does run BOINC clients, but at nice 19, so I though that
10 > shouldn't be a problem. However, I now remember that my BOINC parameters
11 > included a leave-in-memory-while-inactive option, and I suppose that
12 > must have been it, though I don't know how the kernel would operate with
13 > that setting.
14 >
15 > Hope someone finds this interesting.
16
17 Yes, indeed. Thanks much! =8^)
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list