From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:41:02
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Imnsho, since it is a KERNEL thingie, it should have been maintained as a
3 > totally separate package, or just admit the long term goal and be done with
4 > it.
5
6 Well, that would require somebody to actually do the work. Just about
7 everybody involved in contributing to udev supports the change. There
8 is of course eudev which is more-or-less what you're already looking
9 for. The only issues with that are the name isn't "udev" and any
10 projects that vertically integrate might not work with it (Gnome,
11 etc).
12
13 > Now I'd really, really, REALLY like to hear what Linus thinks about
14 > systemd/udev NOW. The only things I can find from him are 4 or so years old.
15 > I can't imagine that stuff like this doesn't irk him too...
16 >
17 > Would someone who stands a chance at getting a response out of him *please*
18 > ping him for an opinion on this stuff? Blog or LKML post would be fine...
19
20 Honestly, there is no shortage of people offering their opinions.
21 What there is a shortage of is people actually doing work to make
22 (e)udev do anything differently. In the end people can complain as
23 much as they want, but unless they fork over effort or dollars or
24 something they won't get terribly far. That's why Mint/Mate/etc are
25 all so popular these days - somebody took the time to fork. In the
26 case of eudev there really isn't enough manpower to do anything beyond
27 tweaking the upstream releases to not use the new paths/etc. I doubt
28 that anybody is actually adding features to eudev that aren't already
29 in udev, which greatly reduces the likelihood of upstream packages
30 targeting it.
31
32 If it were in the kernel then Linus's opinion would carry a lot more
33 weight (like when he basically modified the ext3/4 code over the
34 objections of the maintainers to use ordered commits by default (it
35 has been a while and I'm foggy on the details) - a decision that I
36 fully support for what little that matters).
37
38 Rich