From: Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] a different revdep-rebuild problem and solution
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:06:45
1 I had a slightly different revdep-rebuild problem and this discussion was
2 the impetus to uncover the cause. The problem I had was that every time
3 I ran revdep-rebuild it wanted to rebuild a package that I had removed
4 and the package name was really weird. At the end of the run it emitted
5 this command which I have reformatted for easy reading:
6
7 emerge --oneshot
8 =media-tv/-MERGING-mythtv-0.20_p11626
9 =media-tv/-MERGING-mythtv-0.20_p12172
10 =app-cdr/cdrkit-1.1.6
11 =media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.10.1
12
13 I didn't have any problem with the last two items, but I could not find
14 the weird -MERGING-mythtv packages. I did remember having an emerge
15 problem with MythTV when I first started to try it. After looking around
16 and not finding a likely suspect, I ran strace -f -o /tmp/revdep.out
17 revdep-rebuild. After it hung I searched through all the open system
18 calls and finally found it checking out files in
19
20 /var/db/pkg/media-tv.
21
22 In the directory media-tv were subdirectories with the -MERGING name.
23 I removed all the directories in media-tv and reran revdep-rebuild and
24 all was well.
25
26 Thanks for the help!
29 Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262
30 Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399
31