From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OT - graphic card for dual-monitor high-resolution graphic station
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:11:12
1 Piotr Pruszczak <p.pruszczak@××××××××.pl> posted
2 447D62B7.9000800@××××××××.pl, excerpted below, on Wed, 31 May 2006
3 11:32:39 +0200:
4
5 > On the other hand, I think - all community waits for open-source graphic
6 > card with dual DVI output && drivers in kernel ;)) - as many people
7 > start to look at Linux-based workstations for professional use..
8 >
9 > Anybody knows WHEN it could be available? I heard the project was in
10 > development, estimated price was about 200Euros..
11
12 AFAIK (as of early March this year), it's still a couple years out in ASIC
13 (traditional production level chip) form, but an initial PCI/FPGA (hardware
14 developer project board) version is targeted at late this year. They
15 announced the initial schematic, soliciting comments from the community,
16 on February 28. The idea is to produce the FPGA version first and use it
17 to work out the bugs and actually more importantly, to get some income and
18 demonstrate the viability of the project to potential investors, as
19 fabbing the ASIC version will cost some big money. It'll be the only FPGA
20 board of its kind, bigger and more complex than many, and with video
21 output hardware that few have. As such, it's a commercial project in its
22 own right, in a lower volume more expensive per unit market, with
23 apparently no direct competition, perfect for a first product to
24 demonstrate commercial viability to the various investors, as well as
25 provide some income.
26
27 March 7, 2006, LWN coverage of the initial proposed FPGA schematics post:
28 http://lwn.net/Articles/174615/
29
30 Earlier LWN/KernelTrap coverage of the early Oct. 2005 status report:
31 http://lwn.net/Articles/154423/
32
33 Obviously, I'm rooting for the project too, hoping to buy an ASIC based
34 card when the time comes. Unfortunately, I'd not know what to do with the
35 FPGA card if I had it.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list