From: Piotr Pruszczak <p.pruszczak@××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT - graphic card for dual-monitor high-resolution graphic station
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:36:58
2 > Optimum performance means probably one with a dual dvi output. Then it
3 > depends on what the customer actually wants. Is 3d performance important?
4 > Is support for the latest features important? Basically there is the
5 > choice between ati and nvidia chipsets. If you want 3d and dual monitor,
6 > the 2048x2048 virtual screen limitation for the opensource ati driver
7 > probably counts it out. I don't know whether that limit exists in the
8 > closed driver, or in the nvidia driver. In maturity the nvidia closed
9 > driver probably is better than the closed ati driver.
10
11 Does it mean, that probably NVidia GF 7600 256MB DDR3 with closed-source
12 binary drivers is good choise??
13
14 On the other hand, I think - all community waits for open-source graphic
15 card with dual DVI output && drivers in kernel ;)) - as many people
16 start to look at Linux-based workstations for professional use..
17
18 Anybody knows WHEN it could be available? I heard the project was in
19 development, estimated price was about 200Euros..
20 >
21 > Paul
26 Piotr
27 --