From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:43:17
1 Sean wrote:
2 >
3 > Well from your email and Mathieu it has helped a bit. I have tried to
4 > rebuild the kernel several times and after the line
5 >
6 > INSTALL sound/soundcore.ko
7 >
8 > it always displays the line
9 > if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
10 > System.map 2.6.16-gentoo-r9; fi
11 >
12 > then just a prompt display.
13
14 It seems correct to me. Now you have to install the kernel image.
15 Now the kernel image is compiled and can be found in
16 /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage
17 (replace x86_64 with your arch. This is the gentoo-amd64 list, therefore
18 I suppose it is x86_64)
19
20 Installing the image means to inform the boot loader (grub, lilo,
21 whatever) where to find it. It is supposed as "best practice" to put
22 the kernel images in "/boot/" and run the boot loader so it can rewrite
23 the boot sector of the device with information about the new kernel.
24
25 Let me ask you something: How did you install your previous kernel - by
26 the live-cd installer, by genkernel or manually? Because my previous
27 (real) reply involves manual installation with lilo?
32 P.S.
33
34 I apologize for the empty reply. I pressed unintentionally "send". Sorry
35 about this. ;-(
39 Best regards,
40 Daniel
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list