From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS Was: slaveryware
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:03:57
1 Duncan, mused, then expounded:
2 >
3 > For that reason, I'm writing Archos off as a choice at this point in time.
4 > Due to their popularity, support for iPods is a fairly good gamble, even
5 > yet to be released models with different hardware. It may take awhile,
6 > but it's fairly likely to happen. The iriver h10s look to be the only
7 > other close to viable alternatives in the 20+ gig range, at this point.
8 > There are several sub-10GB flash based players in various stages of
9 > support, but that's not what I'm looking at.
12 The Neuros Audio 2 come with an 80GB drive, supports Vorbis and has
13 had an open firmware project for a couple of years now. The price is
14 less than an iPod as it's being discontinued. While not offically
15 supported or sactiioned, both the hard drive and battery can be replaced.
16
17 I had the first version, just as Vorbis support was deing added. Upgraded
18 my hard drive with a standard laptop unit, and used it for a few years
19 before it finally died - probably too much poking around inside trying to
20 get a better understanding of it. The first version's audio wasn't all that
21 great, but then most people won't care. And it's a bit bulky as it takes
22 2.5" drives and it seperates into two pieces.
23
24 After mine died, I picked up an Iriver IFP-999 which is quite nice,
25 very good audio and quite small. But I miss having 40 GB of space
26 as 1 GB is very limiting in the music I can carry.
27
28 Neuros has the replacment device on hold as they are just finishing up
29 the OSD - kind of a portable, networked VCR that uses CF, SD, etc. cards,
30 runs linux with a version of e17 as the display manager.
31
32 Rasterman, himself, created the display manager and has (or had, I haven't
33 followed the irc logs lately) worked quite hard on it.
34
35 There is a pretty active, though small, community supporting the Neuros
36 Audio devices. There main website is - http://www.neurosaudio.com/
37 And there development process is fairly open - irc dev logs, with some
38 mild censoring, blogs, wiki, and support forums.
39
40 As for me, after mucking in the swamps of Myth, I'm looking forward to
41 the OSD.
42
43 Bob
44 -