From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS Was: slaveryware
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:11:19
1 Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 Pine.LNX.4.64.0610012215310.21889@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below,
3 on Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:26:05 -0400:
4
5 > I got an Archos 504 only to find out that nothing (neither rockbox nor
6 > archopen) is close to have something that would potentially work with it.
7
8 Indeed. I was looking at IIRC the 700 series (tho might have been the
9 500), and came to the same conclusion. The simple fact is that nothing
10 they currently have available seems to be even remotely close to being
11 supported by the community stuff. By the time it is, it's very likely they
12 won't be selling it any more.
13
14 For that reason, I'm writing Archos off as a choice at this point in time.
15 Due to their popularity, support for iPods is a fairly good gamble, even
16 yet to be released models with different hardware. It may take awhile,
17 but it's fairly likely to happen. The iriver h10s look to be the only
18 other close to viable alternatives in the 20+ gig range, at this point.
19 There are several sub-10GB flash based players in various stages of
20 support, but that's not what I'm looking at.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list