From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 04:08:04
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either the
4 > Tyan Thunder n3600M (S2932) or the
5 > Tyan Thunder n2000M (S3992) motherboards and, of course, gentoo amd64.
6 >
7 > The CPUs would be 2 2xxx opterons.
8
9 I've finally received a new S3992 based server yesterday.
10 I've been hit by 4 issues and here they are:
11
12 1.
13 The one thing that was clearly lacking from Tyan and ThermalTake was that
14 there are actually 2 different Heatsink sizes on the market for Socket F
15 systems. Some heatsinks at 3.5" and others at 4.1".
16
17 ThermalTake's Socket F heatsinks use 4.1", while the Tyan board uses 3.5".
18
19 In the end I got 2 Socket 940 heatsinks using the special brackets from
20 Tyan.
21
22 After rereading the specifications, the only line that was a clue to is
23 was "Uses the standard 3 1/2"/89mm socket connector" which is really not
24 telling much.
25
26 2.
27 The second issue was that when I disable the "Hide XIOAPIC PCI functions"
28 the linux kernel will only see 1 core of 1 cpu. My only clue to that being
29 the problem was a post to the Linux Kernel List from someone that had the
30 same problem but mentionned he couldn't remember what setting he used.
31
32 3.
33 If the fan fail led is enabled, then not connected fan are marked as
34 failed and there is no way to tell it to ignore them. The bios will also
35 give a message like "FAN5 RPM doesn't detected".
38 4:
39 lm_sensors require a special program to "switch" which set of fan and cpu
40 is being monitored. I really wish that there is a way to avoid that. I
41 like being able to parse the output of lm_sensors to hobbit (aka big
42 brother) for monitoring purposes.
43 --
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list