From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:20:12
1 Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 Pine.LNX.4.64.0706072350030.4516@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on
3 Fri, 08 Jun 2007 00:08:03 -0400:
4
5 > 1.
6 > The one thing that was clearly lacking from Tyan and ThermalTake was
7 > that there are actually 2 different Heatsink sizes on the market for
8 > Socket F systems. Some heatsinks at 3.5" and others at 4.1".
9 >
10 > ThermalTake's Socket F heatsinks use 4.1", while the Tyan board uses
11 > 3.5".
12 >
13 > In the end I got 2 Socket 940 heatsinks using the special brackets from
14 > Tyan.
15
16 Wow. Last time I bought a mobo, I bought Tyan from Monarch, referred
17 from pricewatch.com. Pricing mobos, CPUs, and heat-sinks/fans separately
18 at the lowest cost on pricewatch, Monarch was charging like $25 to ship
19 it all assembled and tested. In addition, that meant I ordered it all
20 together (I did order memory separately, from someone else) instead of
21 having to worry about ordering and getting separate packages from several
22 different places. So I did it that way. They shipped it already
23 assembled, so until very recently, when I took one of the heatsinks off
24 to check that I could do so and reuse them when I order my dual Opteron
25 290s, I'd never even had the heat-sinks off the CPUs.
26
27 I guess that's one way to ensure you get the right one! =8^) I was quite
28 pleased with Monarch service as well as price (tho their prices on memory
29 were only average, thus my buying that elsewhere), and will likely order
30 from them again next time I upgrade.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list