From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:31:56
1 Jamie wrote:
2 > I would welcome any constructive advise on this as the many hours of
3 > building a Gentoo box is not something I want to do too often so being
4 > able to image prior to any major upgrades would be a great safety net...
5
6 Here's my low cost backup method: rsync -aux
7
8 1. Get two drives which are both capable of holding all your data,
9 ideally two equally large ones.
10 2. Partition them the same way
11 3. Whenever you feel like backing up your data on eg. sda1, mount sdb1
12 and rsync -aux <mountpoint>. The -x in the rsync command makes sure it
13 doesn't try to copy /dev or /proc. -u speeds up the things a bit if
14 you're impatient.
15 4. Now your harddrive broke. Buy a new one. (If you bought a Maxtor it
16 is likely that it breaks before guarantee runs out so you get one for
17 free!) Meanwhile, swap the disks and continue to use your system.
18
19 I've been doing this for the past two years or so. It may not be the
20 perfect backup system, but it is damn cheap and easy in maintenance.
21 Plus it has the advantage that you can continue using your system
22 immediately, when you would have to wait for your vendor to ship a new
23 disk with every other method.
26 Kind Regards,
27
28 Simon Stelling