From: Jamie <gentoo@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:51:09
1 <snip>
2 >
3 > That's what a backup image, a snapshot of the system taken periodically
4 > when everything is known to be working, is useful for. =8^)
5 >
6 <snip>
7
8 A good piece of advice and one that I really should follow.
9 What is the best way to take an image of the Gentoo install?
10 In my case my Gentoo install resides on /dev/hda2 (boot) ; /dev/hda3
11 (swap) and /dev/hda5 (root) - is it possible to use something like dd to
12 image these partitions to a disk somewhere else on my network? Is this a
13 good/bad/non-workable idea?
14
15 I would welcome any constructive advise on this as the many hours of
16 building a Gentoo box is not something I want to do too often so being
17 able to image prior to any major upgrades would be a great safety net...
18
19 Cheers
20
21 Jamie
22 (back to Gentoo after a short period with Ubuntu!)
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list