From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with ethernet configuration
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 22:45:42
1 2008/11/6 manuel <kaos@××××××××××××.com>:
2 > Beso ha scritto:
3 >>
4 >> 2008/11/6 manuel <kaos@××××××××××××.com>:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi All,
8 >>>
9 >>> I have two gentoo os on my pc, same HD, different partitions. Now they
10 >>> are
11 >>> both 2008!
12 >>> I really don't understand why on the "first" system I can get a static IP
13 >>> address working, the same configuration does not work on the "second os"
14 >>> and
15 >>> I must set it to dhcp to get it working! I need to get a static Ip
16 >>> address
17 >>> 'cause I would like to map ports on my router! I've tried a lot of
18 >>> configurations but it still does not work and at the moment i've no
19 >>> Ideas!!!
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> if you have the same identical configuration one connects and the
25 >> other doesn't. you cannot assign the same ip to 2 different boards at
26 >> the same time. also if your router has saved the mac addresses and
27 >> binded the ips for some time (usually routers can be set to do this)
28 >> then you cannot bind the same ip for another pc.
29 >> an alternative is to set the static bind routes in the dhcp
30 >> configuration panel of your router and use dhcp. in this way you're
31 >> able to use dhcp on the pcs that will still get the same ip address
32 >> and so you'll be able to use them as they would have got the static
33 >> route. you'll just have to bind without lease the mac address to an ip
34 >> and then enable the dhcp in the router. i use this way of routing in
35 >> my network.
40 > I'm using the same card on the same pc, but I if I boot the first os I get
41 > my static conf. working when I restart the pc and I boot the second os and I
42 > must use dhcp to connect! (they don't run together). I've tried to connect
43 > directly to my provider's hub too, but the second os seems not to support a
44 > static ip address???
45 > :(
46
47 hmmm.... if they're the same system, the same hw and the same confs
48 it's impossible for them not to work. try to see if by chance you
49 don't have dhcpdb or networkmanager started on the second os at boot.
50 the only thing that might prevent static routes from working is that
51 some dhcp is starting before setting the static net.ethX interface.
52 see the dmesg and the system log in search of the ethX problems. if
53 the 2 oses are exactly the same then there's no reason for them not to
54 work in the same way. you'll just have to remember that maybe the
55 router is caching the ethernet entry and might not allow the use of
56 another static ip on the same mac. have a look inside your router
57 configuration and see if it caches or binds addresses. usually
58 commercial routers do this until reboot.
61 dott. ing. beso