From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System load during emerge
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:37:10
1 On Sunday 04 March 2007 16:09:03 Duncan wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
3 > 200703041151.37846.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 04 Mar
4 >
5 > > What is the machine doing?
6 >
7 > There's a couple things to check. First, you say /tmp is on tmpfs and in
8 > memory (no swap), but you don't mention where you have $PORTAGE_TMPDIR
9 > pointed.
10
11 It's not long since we discussed this. It's set to /tmp, and so is
12 PKG_TMPDIR.
13
14 > Second, for general disk access speed (IOW, not portage specific), if
15 > you've not checked it, emerge hdparm if necessary and see if your hard
16 > drives are using DMA. If they aren't, you'll have MUCH slower disk i/o.
17
18 Hdparm is installed and does set DMA on. The only disk access I can foresee
19 portage doing is to write its log file. Could that really consume as much
20 time as I'm seeing? Seems unlikely to me.
21
22 [Later...] I've now found that if I run "hdparm -d1 /dev/sda" from an X
23 terminal I get "HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device", but
24 when /etc/init.d/hdparm is run during boot I see [ok] for each drive. Looks
25 like I've got some exploring to do.
26
27 > Of course, also note that depending on the ebuild stage and how much of
28 > what it is accessing you already have cached, portage does do some non-
29 > tmp I/O access.
30
31 As I said, I was watching firefox being compiled. All the preliminary stages
32 had been completed by then. All the source code should have been in memory,
33 but I can't say the same for any other libraries. On the other hand, just
34 how much time is needed to load all the development libraries needed for
35 this compilation?
36
37 > There's also portage logging and associated log variables. Again, this
38 > shouldn't be a big deal if you've got DMA on your drives, but it might be
39 > if you don't.
40
41 Yes, that's the only thing I can think of.
42
43 > Finally, if it's writing anything to NFS mounts or the like over the
44 > network, or if you have distcc active, it's possible the wait is on the
45 > network, not on your local hard drives, of course depending on exactly
46 > how you are configured.
47
48 I did play with distcc but found it unreliable on a large package, so I've
49 removed it from make.conf. I don't use NFS or any other networked
50 operations that I can think of.
51
52 Thanks for the suggestions.
55 Rgds