From: dustin@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System load during emerge
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:01:14
1 On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 05:35:16PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > As I said, I was watching firefox being compiled. All the preliminary stages
3 > had been completed by then. All the source code should have been in memory,
4 > but I can't say the same for any other libraries. On the other hand, just
5 > how much time is needed to load all the development libraries needed for
6 > this compilation?
7
8 Not necessarily - gcc pulls in quite a range of system headers, which
9 may be cached by the kernel less aggressively than the other stuff
10 you're keeping in RAM.
11
12 I'd recommend running iostat (in the sysstat ebuild) to see at least
13 what kind of IO is going on here. You may also want to experiment with
14 remounting e.g., /usr/include on a tmpfs.
15
16 Dustin
17 --
18 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list