From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Completely remove BIND
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 22:29:08
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 493597DE.7080201@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 02 Dec 2008
3 15:17:34 -0500:
4
5 > I certainly do appreciate the offer, but afer more digging, I'm pretty
6 > well convinced the HDD is going bad quickly. Fortunately, it's not a
7 > critical server (for now) and I'm glad this happened BEFORE we went live
8 > with the DNS slave server.
9
10 Ouch!
11
12 For production use, I'd definitely consider at least a 2-disk RAID-1 or
13 perhaps a 4-disk RAID-6 if you want two-way check-sums, for that very
14 reason. With disks what they are now ($30 US shipped, SATA 40GB,
15 pricewatch.com, less if you'll take pulls tho I wouldn't), even if a new
16 server can be imaged and brought on line quickly, it's just not worth the
17 hassle, for the cost of switching out a single disk and continuing in
18 place. Get the mdadm disk failure and walk over and hot-swap, then
19 monitor it while doing other things until the RAID rebuild is complete.
20 Pretty hard to beat.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman