From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] grub2 upgrade fail (was Boycott Systemd)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:50:55
1 Expanding on this:
2 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] grub2 upgrade fail (was Boycott Systemd)
3 > From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
4 > Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 00:42:44 -0500
5 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
6 >
7 > Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk> skribis:
8 > > "Simple" and the large collection of scripts that is grub2 is not
9 > > something I often hear in the same sentence ;)
10 >
11 > I don’t use any of the scripts, and just have a very simple, hand
12 > edited grub config file. Lilo, however, has the huge advantage that it
13 > tries to verify the config before it does anything hazardous.
14 >
15 > Grub 2 seems to me better than Grub 1 (though still not very good) if
16 > you find yourself editing things at the Grub command line. However, if
17 > it does not work on a given computer then this is what I call ‘a fact
18 > of life’. :)
19
20 See http://exherbo.org/docs/install-guide.html for how simple it can
21 be to use GRUB 2, if you just ignore the hoopla. My own config is
22 kmore complicated; it installs some fonts and has entries for memtest;
23 but these are minor niceties.
24
25 (Completely avoiding initrd by simply putting / and /usr on one
26 filesystem is another of those measures you wouldn’t think existed if
27 your experience were entirely Ubuntu, etc.)