From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:56:18
1 DR GM SEDDON posted <436B56B2.10106@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,
2 on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:40:18 +0000:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > I was wondering. What modules do I need installed at boot?
6 > My hardware is
7 > dvd/cd rewriter ide
8 > 3.5" floppy
9 > scsi tape drive. initio scsi controller
10 > 125 mb ati radeon graphics
11 > 20" sgi monitor
12 > 3400+ cpu
13 > e2800+ cellular to attatch
14
15 You don't need to load /any/ modules at boot, if you compile everything
16 you'd normally load at boot and never unload, into the kernel itself,
17 instead of as modules.
18
19 Here, I do that, but compile stuff I use only occasionally, such as the
20 floppy, loopback device, and parallel port (printer, yes, I still use the
21 parallel port for that) drivers, and the msdos (floppy), iso9660 (CD/DVD),
22 and ext2 (floppy) filesystems (my system is reiserfs, no ext2 unless on a
23 floppy or filesystem image or something), as modules, so I can load them
24 if an when I need them but keep the kernel from using so much unswappable
25 memory when I don't.
26
27 You might as well compile anything directly into the kernel that you'll be
28 using enough so you'd be loading the modules at boot, anyway. The
29 exception would be the few items of hardware with drivers that need
30 parameters fed to them when loaded to get things right. These often need
31 compiled and loaded as modules, even if you /do/ load them at boot and
32 don't ever unload them, in ordered to feed them the correct parameters
33 when they load.
34
35 Thus, compiled into your kernel, you'll need the IDE main and your
36 specific chipset drivers (or scsi drivers if you use that instead of IDE),
37 the file system drivers for whatever file systems you normally use, the
38 HID input main and keyboard drivers, virtual terminal and console on
39 virtual terminal, agpgart, and probably your mouse and NIC drivers, plus
40 motherboard or installation specific stuff like the real-time-clock, usb
41 drivers, etc.
42
43 Depending on how you have video setup, you likely do NOT need any kernel
44 graphics card drivers beyond the normal VT/console drivers for text mode.
45 For use within xorg, you'll load additional xorg or proprietary drivers.
46
47 Gentoo normally recommends you compile the sound (ALSA) drivers as
48 modules, but I compile them in, here, figuring I use them enough I don't
49 want to mess with loading them separately. Obviously, that works best if
50 you use the kernel's own sound drivers, rather than merging the
51 alsa-drivers package separately, in which case modules are easier.
52
53 As mentioned above, I don't load iso9660 or msdos filesystems or the
54 floppy or loopback drivers built-in or at boot, because I don't use them
55 enough to warrant it. If I need them, I load them, then unload them if
56 I'm not immediately rebooting. The same here for the parallel port
57 drivers for the printer.
58
59 Something I HAVE found I have to compile and load as modules, are the USB
60 stuff. However, I don't have to list them in
61 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, because I have sys-apps/coldplug
62 merged and the initscript set to load as part of the boot level, and that
63 handles loading USB for me. (It also handled loading the alsa/sound
64 modules, back when I had them compiled as modules.)
65
66 Other than that, I learned what I needed pretty much by going thru
67 the entire kernel config and turning on what I KNEW I needed, then
68 using trial and error on everything else, trying without it to see if
69 everything still worked and didn't complain, going back and turning it
70 back on if I found I needed it. BIND, if you run it, turns out to need
71 something strange, that the kernel says is deprecated. (Don't worry, tho,
72 enough folks run bind that deprecated or not, there WILL be a replacement
73 before the kernel folks can remove it for good.) Other things you might
74 find you need as well. No problem, just reboot to your old/backup if you
75 couldn't even boot the new kernel, turn on what you need and recompile and
76 reinstall the kernel, and try again. It's tough learning it the first
77 time, but eventually you'll figure out what stuff you need and what most
78 stuff does, and be fairly familiar with kernel configuration.
83 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
84 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
88 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list