From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: RAID1 boot - no bootable media found
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 00:02:30
1 On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I also purchased two Enterprise Edition drives - the 500GB size. They
5 > are also spec'ed at 300K
6 >
7 > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=489
8 >
9 > My intention was to use them in a RAID0 and then back them up daily to
10 > RAID1 for more safety. However I'm starting to think this TLER feature
11 > may well be part of this problem. I don't want to start using them
12 > however until I understand this 30/minute issue. No reason to wear
13 > everything out!
14 >
15 > <SNIP>
16
17 Duncan,
18 Just a quick follow-up. I tested the WD Green drives for the last
19 36 hours in Spinrite and found no problems. I think the drives are OK.
20
21 I then took the two 500GB Raid Enterprise drives above and made a
22 new RAID1 on which I did a quick Gentoo install. This uses the same
23 SATA controller, same cables and same drivers as I was using earlier
24 with the Green drives. While doing the install I saw no problems or
25 delays on them. Now I've got a new RAID1 install but cannot get it to
26 boot as grub doesn't seem to automatically assemble the RAID1 device.
27 I'm moderately confident that once I figure out how to get grub to
28 understand / is on RAID1 then I may be in good shape.
29
30 Thanks for your help,
31
32 Cheers,