From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: RAID1 boot - no bootable media found
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 19:02:32
1 On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> I also purchased two Enterprise Edition drives - the 500GB size. They
6 >> are also spec'ed at 300K
7 >>
8 >> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=489
9 >>
10 >> My intention was to use them in a RAID0 and then back them up daily to
11 >> RAID1 for more safety. However I'm starting to think this TLER feature
12 >> may well be part of this problem. I don't want to start using them
13 >> however until I understand this 30/minute issue. No reason to wear
14 >> everything out!
15 >>
16 >> <SNIP>
17 >
18 > Duncan,
19 >   Just a quick follow-up. I tested the WD Green drives for the last
20 > 36 hours in Spinrite and found no problems. I think the drives are OK.
21 >
22 >   I then took the two 500GB Raid Enterprise drives above and made a
23 > new RAID1 on which I did a quick Gentoo install. This uses the same
24 > SATA controller, same cables and same drivers as I was using earlier
25 > with the Green drives. While doing the install I saw no problems or
26 > delays on them. Now I've got a new RAID1 install but cannot get it to
27 > boot as grub doesn't seem to automatically assemble the RAID1 device.
28 > I'm moderately confident that once I figure out how to get grub to
29 > understand / is on RAID1 then I may be in good shape.
30 >
31 >   Thanks for your help,
32 >
33 > Cheers,
34 > Mark
37 OK, after a solid day of testing it really looks like the cause is the
38 WD10EARS drive. With RAID1 on these new enterprise drives I no longer
39 see 100% waits and I have no error messages anywhere that I can find
40 them. Additionally the early SMART data looks like there's not the
41 same LOAD_CYCLE_COUNT incrementing problem either.
42
43 I sort of feel like this should be reported to someone - LKML or maybe
44 the SATA driver folks. It's completely reproducible, and I'd be happy
45 to help some developer debug it if they wanted to, but I'm not sure
46 how to go about something that specific.
47
48 Anyway, it appears my problems are solved. I'm using RAID for / and
49 your ideas about multiple /boot partitions. I haven't tested the other
50 boots yet but I'm sure it will likely work.
51
52 Thanks,
53 Mark