From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] conversion sda to lvm2 questions
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:18:25
1 Beso wrote:
2 > i'd like to commute my laptop system to lvm2, but before doing that
3 > i'd like some hints.
4 > first, i'd like to know if there's a way of passing an existing gentoo
5 > installation on a hda disk going through the sda stack (i needed to do
6 > that cause it was the only thing that fixed a problem with my ata disk
7 > going only on udma-33 after kernel 2.20) with sata-pata piix
8 > controller which is still experimental. i've taken a look around but
9 > haven't actually seen a document explaining if it is possible to do
10 > that and how to do that.
11 > second, i'd like to know if there's a need for a raid enabled
12 > motherboard and more than one disk to go on lvm. i only have a 100gb
13 > disk that i'd like to convert to lvm with no raid.
14 > and last, does it make sense doing a passage to lvm? i currently run
15 > into some problems with my root partition that gets filled and that i
16 > always have to watch the free space on it, so if i don't pass to raid
17 > i'll try to duplicate the partition on a greater one.
18 > i was forgetting: i'd like to use it on amd64. is there any problem? i
19 > have seen around some problems with lvm and amd64 some of them marked
20 > as solved, so i'd like to know if there could be problems with this arch.
21 > thanks for your help.
22 >
23 > --
24 > dott. ing. beso
25 Here's my $0.02. LVM is great is you need better fault tolerance. i.e.
26 a RAID setup. I have LVM volumes on our SAN (20TB or so @ RAID 5) and I
27 have less trouble out of it than a couple of RAID systems I have that
28 are straight xfs. That said I do not know about the first part, I've
29 never tried it. For the second part, a RAID enabled MB would be fine if
30 you plan on going RAID at some point. I don't normally get my RAID on
31 the motherboard simply because I have more control over what controller
32 to put in the system to make sure it's compatible with various flavors
33 of linux. I run LVM at home in a RAID5 config and I've had to extend /
34 a couple of times, so it is beneficial in that respect. You can do that
35 as well with xfs or a clustered fs (like gfs from RH), but LVMs seem to
36 be a little more painless in my experience.
37
38 I run almost exclusively 64-bit systems and distros from *BSD to SuSE to
39 Fedora (and gentoo) and I've never seen any problem at all with LVM in a
40 64-bit environment. My SAN runs on a dual opteron box and it handles
41 2TB of data a day with no trouble out of LVM.
42
43 HTH.
47 Mark Haney
48 Sr. Systems Administrator