From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT: CPU Temperature
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:30:35
1 Hi,
2
3 On Saturday 15 October 2005 20:27, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
4 > I built myself an AMD64 based system a week ago using the following
5 > components:
6 >
7 > Albatron K8NF4U motherboard
8 > AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
9 > 1GB DDR Memory
10 > Albatron TC6200 video card
11 >
12 > Motherboard sensors indicate that the CPU core is running at a constant
13 > 65 degrees Celcius and this figure does not change more than a degree
14 > no matter what is being done, it only increased to 66 degrees C while
15 > doing a compile of xorg, kde and gnome which took a few hours.
16 >
17 > Should I be worried about these figures? The heatsink feels only
18 > slightly warm to the touch and I am sure it is seated correctly so I
19 > wonder if the BIOS is reporting the right temperatures. Does anyone have
20 > the same board that can help me out here?
21 >
22 > Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the
23 > "acceptable" temperature range for my CPU is?
26 the onboard sensors are crap.
27 On all boards.
28
29 The temperatures they display are not reliable and should be taken with a lot
30 of salt.
31
32 The only important factor is the delta.
33 And yours is pretty low (1°C).
34 This shows two things: you are not using cpufreq-scaling, your CPU is running
35 on max speed all the time, and there is no need to worry, because your
36 heatsink is able to cope with it ;)
37
38 Acceptable is everything, that let your box run stable. That totally depends
39 on how much the sensors are off the real world.
40
41 On my athlon-xp system the CPU started to make errors at 62-65°C.
42 The sensors said, that it were 62-65°C - but from a little measurement, I
43 knew, that the sensors were roughly 15-30°C off...
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list