From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] replacing manually installed subversion with portage version?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:52:02
1 On Tuesday 16 January 2007 07:36, "Drew Kirkpatrick"
2 <drew.kirkpatrick@×××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-amd64] replacing
3 manually installed subversion with portage version?':
4 > I've got a large gentoo server at work that hosts all our subversion
5 > data,
6 > my boss installed subversion manually
7 > instead of emerging it through portage,
8 > I'd like to use the one from portage
9 > so that the package is properly maintained, but I know nothing of
10 > subversion.
11 >
12 > The data is actually stored on our raid, I would assume that simply
13 > removing the version he installed and emerging subversion would dot it
14 > since I believe the actual data is stored in the directory structure
15 > itself. But I wanted to get a sanity check before I blow away our
16 > subversion database in an uncaffeinated state :)
17 >
18 > Any thoughts, tips, or gotchas?
19
20 All SVN data is stored inside the repository directory, so as long as you
21 don't touch that you should be fine -- barring any of the
22 standard "upgrade gotchas". You may need to restart your webDAV to use
23 the new version of SVN.
24
25 In any case, since this is a potential data-loss situation, make a backup
26 or two, test your backups if possible, and if resources allow it, image
27 production and perform the operation on the image first.
28
29 I maintain my own SVN repository and am comfortable as a SVN user, but I
30 don't consider myself an expert; if you have time I suggest you consult
31 SVN-specific mailing lists as well, since it's more likely an SVN expert
32 will be able to help you.
35 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
36 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
37 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
38 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh