From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System Memory
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:01:14
1 Raffaele BELARDI posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:21:56 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Same here, I had to order a new flash chip when it happened to me. The
4 > recovery procedure you mention is specific to your motherboard model?
5
6 No. It's specific to brands of BIOS. Both AMI BIOS (mine) and Award
7 BIOS have a recovery procedure, tho the other one (IDR the name) and
8 vendors such as Dell may not.
9
10 http://biosman.com/biosrecovery.html
11
12 When it first happened, when I'd try to boot it would do a floppy drive
13 seek, apparently trying to find that AMIBOOT.ROM file as detailed in the
14 above. But as I didn't know what I was doing, I used the EPROM-clear
15 pins on the mobo, thinking I had nothing to lose anyway and hoping to
16 clear the problem, and lost that. By the time I started looking for BIOS
17 replacement sites (which I had read about before so I knew they existed)
18 and came across that info, it wasn't doing a floppy seek either, so
19 ordering a new chip was pretty much my only option.
20
21 This board is EOLed, so no more flashes for it, but I'm going to know
22 what my BIOS is and have a recovery floppy ready the next time I DO do a
23 flash.
24
25 (That's assuming BIOS hasn't been replaced by EFI or something by then, I
26 think they have their own recovery procedures... FWIW, I just used the
27 gdisk ebuild available in bugzilla, to build gdisk, and used it to switch
28 all my disks over to to GPT partitions. I'm ready for > 2TiB disks now,
29 AND have the extra reliability of checksummed partition tables as well as
30 no worries about extended partitions, any more. Plus GPT (and gdisk)
31 allows naming the partitions, which helps quite a bit in managing them.
32 GPT was designed for EFI, but works quite well with standard BIOS as
33 well, as long as you follow the rules. Gentoo's grub 0.97-rWHATEVER has
34 patches that support it, and it's a kernel option, so I was good to go as
35 soon as I enabled that and rebuilt/reinstalled my kernel, and merged
36 gdisk using the bugzilla ebuild. =:^)
37
38 FWIW, routers and the like, and various firmware based media players,
39 etc, often have similar recovery procedures. I was familiar with them,
40 but wasn't aware they had recovery procedures in general computer BIOS as
41 well.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman