From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Measure network speeds between machines?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 20:28:40
1 On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >> Just taking a shot at the dark on this list before I ask something
6 >> in the forums. Is there a simple app (or even something at the command
7 >> line) that I can use to measure network throughput between two Gentoo
8 >> machines on my internal network?
9 >
10 > Check out net-analyzer/ttcp and net-misc/iperf
11 >
12 > You could also probably "roll your own" test by using netcat to
13 > transfer /dev/zero from one machine to another or something like that.
14 >
15 >> Background: We sold our house & moved. Comcast talked me into
16 >> getting there new 'Blast' level Internet service with "speed up to
17 >> 50Mb/S" but darned if it isn't slower than regular Comcast ISP service
18 >> was a the previous house. In our house I typically got about 27Mb/S
19 >> download using something like www.Speakeasy.net/speedtest at a
20 >> measurement tool. Here I've never gotten higher than 22Mb/S. I do
21 >> however get much better upload speeds - about 12Mb/S instead of the
22 >> 5Mb/S I got at the house.
23 >
24 > I don't have Comcast but often ISPs will host a speed test server
25 > inside their network, so you can ensure the speeds you're seeing are
26 > not being limited by normal Internet slowdown issues outside of their
27 > system.
28 >
29 > To take a page out of the generic ISP tech support, I would try
30 > plugging your computer directly into the cable modem and seeing what
31 > kind of speeds you get then, to eliminate any outside factors.
32 >
33 > If you're using your own router, I would check to ensure it is fast
34 > enough to handle that kind of speed. If it has Gigabit ethernet ports
35 > that is usually a good sign. If it only has 10/100 then you might wind
36 > up replacing it with something more modern.
39 David & Paul,
40 Thanks for the pointer. On paper ttcp looks like an acceptable
41 place to start. I'll give it a try in a few hours.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark