From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Measure network speeds between machines?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 20:12:23
1 On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Just taking a shot at the dark on this list before I ask something
4 > in the forums. Is there a simple app (or even something at the command
5 > line) that I can use to measure network throughput between two Gentoo
6 > machines on my internal network?
7
8 Check out net-analyzer/ttcp and net-misc/iperf
9
10 You could also probably "roll your own" test by using netcat to
11 transfer /dev/zero from one machine to another or something like that.
12
13 > Background: We sold our house & moved. Comcast talked me into
14 > getting there new 'Blast' level Internet service with "speed up to
15 > 50Mb/S" but darned if it isn't slower than regular Comcast ISP service
16 > was a the previous house. In our house I typically got about 27Mb/S
17 > download using something like www.Speakeasy.net/speedtest at a
18 > measurement tool. Here I've never gotten higher than 22Mb/S. I do
19 > however get much better upload speeds - about 12Mb/S instead of the
20 > 5Mb/S I got at the house.
21
22 I don't have Comcast but often ISPs will host a speed test server
23 inside their network, so you can ensure the speeds you're seeing are
24 not being limited by normal Internet slowdown issues outside of their
25 system.
26
27 To take a page out of the generic ISP tech support, I would try
28 plugging your computer directly into the cable modem and seeing what
29 kind of speeds you get then, to eliminate any outside factors.
30
31 If you're using your own router, I would check to ensure it is fast
32 enough to handle that kind of speed. If it has Gigabit ethernet ports
33 that is usually a good sign. If it only has 10/100 then you might wind
34 up replacing it with something more modern.