From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit kernel Gentoo machine?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:00:48
1 On 9/26/05, Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > So, to check how this hardware platform works in a 32-bit mode I
5 > >guess I need to do a complete second install on a separate part of the
6 > >hard drive as an Athlon. That's a big job that I'm not anxious to do.
7 > >
8 > >Cheers,
9 > >Mark
14 > If you're just trying to compare the performance of your software
15 > between 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, you might try a distro that installs
16 > more quickly. If I recall, you can install a complete 32-bit Debian
17 > system in about half an hour using a Knoppix CD. Google `knoppix
18 > "install to hard disk"` for the howto. I believe you can also get a
19 > 64-bit Debian system just as quickly for comparison by following the
20 > same procedure but using a Kanotix-64 CD instead. (You might just
21 > compare against your existing 64-bit Gentoo system instead, but I don't
22 > know how fair a fight would be between a hand-tuned Gentoo system and
23 > one running a binary distro.)
24 >
25 > The only hitch I can think of is that some of your applications might
26 > not be available as Debian binaries in both 32 and 64-bit versions.
27 > Also, naturally, you won't have the ability to test your software with
28 > the optimizations afforded by the USE flags you intend to use back here
29 > in Gentoo-land. If you would be building your software from source
30 > anyway, then this would not be an issue.
31 >
32 > That being said, I think this experiment would actually be pretty
33 > academic for most users. Unless your software is, say, a very CPU
34 > intensive scientific or multimedia application that was expertly ported
35 > to 64-bit, it is my understanding that you're probably not going to see
36 > a performance difference worth writing home about. I would encourage
37 > anyone to comment if they know better as I would be delighted to learn
38 > it was otherwise.
39 >
40 > - Matt
41 >
42 > --
43 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
46 Hi Matt,
47 As I stated in the first email:
48
49 "Any disk activity seems to be the main cause of xruns on this machine."
50
51 If I get xruns (a failure mode of Jack-Audio-Connection-Kit running
52 on this hardware) then the machine is useless doing the sort of Linux
53 audio work I want to do so this is the problem I'm trying to solve.
54 That's my only goal.
55
56 In my case I want to run Gentoo so I'm suspect of comparing any
57 compiled distro with the results I'm getting on Gentoo's 64-bit
58 kernel. I don't know what patches they've applied, etc., so I wouldn't
59 know how to compare that.
60
61 While it is a bunch of work, it might just be best to do a standard
62 stage 3 Gentoo install on another section of the drive. This way I
63 have a better comparison, and if it works as well as my other machines
64 then at least I have a working platform until I can figure out what's
65 causing the problem in the 64-bit environment.
66
67 Thanks for your inputs.
68
69 Cheers,