From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit kernel Gentoo machine?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:27:51
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > So, to check how this hardware platform works in a 32-bit mode I
4 >guess I need to do a complete second install on a separate part of the
5 >hard drive as an Athlon. That's a big job that I'm not anxious to do.
6 >
7 >Cheers,
8 >Mark
13 If you're just trying to compare the performance of your software
14 between 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, you might try a distro that installs
15 more quickly. If I recall, you can install a complete 32-bit Debian
16 system in about half an hour using a Knoppix CD. Google `knoppix
17 "install to hard disk"` for the howto. I believe you can also get a
18 64-bit Debian system just as quickly for comparison by following the
19 same procedure but using a Kanotix-64 CD instead. (You might just
20 compare against your existing 64-bit Gentoo system instead, but I don't
21 know how fair a fight would be between a hand-tuned Gentoo system and
22 one running a binary distro.)
23
24 The only hitch I can think of is that some of your applications might
25 not be available as Debian binaries in both 32 and 64-bit versions.
26 Also, naturally, you won't have the ability to test your software with
27 the optimizations afforded by the USE flags you intend to use back here
28 in Gentoo-land. If you would be building your software from source
29 anyway, then this would not be an issue.
30
31 That being said, I think this experiment would actually be pretty
32 academic for most users. Unless your software is, say, a very CPU
33 intensive scientific or multimedia application that was expertly ported
34 to 64-bit, it is my understanding that you're probably not going to see
35 a performance difference worth writing home about. I would encourage
36 anyone to comment if they know better as I would be delighted to learn
37 it was otherwise.
38
39 - Matt
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list