From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: unmerging slotted group packages
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:50:59
1 "Daiajo Tibdixious" <daiajo@×××××.com> posted
2 a4a9bfcb0701281548i25d6e8ev80659330e67abe6f@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:48:28 +1100:
4
5 > I used Neil's awk command to remove kde-3.4 and now --depclean works.
6 >
7 > I have now more than 130 orphaned packages. After removing a lot of
8 > gnome related items (I've never run gnome on this system) and a lot of
9 > other things I recognised, I still have more than 130 orphaned
10 > packages, even tho the number of installed packages went from 608 to
11 > 563!
12 > This could take a while, especially as revdep-rebuild is complaining a
13 > lot about stuff I've removed.
14
15 Yeah, if you let yourself get behind on general system maintenance, it
16 /will/ come back to bite you, either if you're unlucky when stuff stops
17 compiling correctly because of all the cruft laying around or worse yet
18 when something that hasn't been updated has a security vuln that gets
19 exploited =8^(, or if you are lucky, you get to the maintenance first, but
20 it's just a huge hassle because there's so much to sort thru.
21
22 > BTW
23 > FEATURES="buildpkg parallel-fetch fixpackages"
24
25 =8^)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list