From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] DHCP and Portage
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:12:44
1 Ryan Rice wrote:
2 > The network did not work when the LiveCD was booted.
3 >
4 > In fact, the port is active because the external connection LED is
5 > active, and my DHCP server sees the hardware, and passes along the
6 > correct IP to the hardware's MAC. It shows up as active in my DHCP
7 > tables.
8 >
9 > In Gentoo, I have tried manually configuring it with ifconfig and
10 > tried dhcpcd to no success. I've also tried to set the nameservers.
11 > It says that the host name is unreachable when I attempt a ping.
12 >
13 > God Bless,
14 >
15 > Ryan A. Rice
16 > Operations Manager / Senior Systems Engineer
17 > i*hydra, Where Price and Power Converge.
18 > http://www.ihydra.com
19 > rrice@××××××.com
20 > Toll Free: (866)-433-1238
21 > Cell: (207)-333-1258
22 > Fax: (207)-226-7376
23 >
24 > +---------------------------------+
25 The port maybe active from the standpoint that the card knows the link
26 is there. But that means really nothing. It's obvious that the NIC
27 driver is not loaded or is the wrong one for that card. DHCP works a
28 little lower down the OSI model, so this would account for the DHCP
29 server seeing it. I think you can load portage from the FULL CD, but
30 since I've always done a stage1, I don't know for sure. However, that
31 does not fix your problem. What kernel are you using and what does
32 lsmod show?
36 Mark Haney
37 Sr. Systems Administrator
38 ERC Broadband