From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Updating An Unconnected Machine
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:03:42
1 On 04/30/10 13:27, Frank Peters wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:09:59 -0600
3 > Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
4 >
5 >> you can copy portage and distro files from connected machine (i.e it
6 >> will just serve as your local mirror), but you need to run emerge -Du
7 >> world on the unconnected machine, since it has different CFLAGS
10 > Yes, it is my intention to run "emerge -Du world" on the
11 > unconnected machine.
12 >
13 > I suppose my actual question is whether or not "emerge --sync"
14 > updates anything else other than the ebuilds and other associated
15 > files of the portage directory, and I suppose that it does not.
16 >
17 > So copying the updated portage tree (updated via "emerge --sync")
18 > and copying the distribution files (acquired via "emerge -Du world")
19 > from the connected to the unconnected machine will allow an update
20 > by running "emerge -Du world" on the unconnected machine.
21 >
22 > I thought that I may be missing some details somewhere and that's why
23 > I raised the question on this list
24
25 I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Gentoo (and by
26 extension, portage) is an OS with comparatively very little magic
27 compared to other distros. I'm sure that you are aware that with your
28 current scheme, you can only install on the unconnected machine,
29 programs that is also installed on the host machine (and perhaps ones
30 which you run 'ebuild fetch' manually).
31
32 And probably you should take care not to overwrite the unconnected
33 machine's "world file" if you plan to have different set of programs
34 installed on both machine.
35
36 Portage creates downloadable daily .tar.bz2-ed snapshots of /usr/portage
37 for use on newly installed machine (look at the "Installing Portage"
38 step in the familiar handbook). You might want to look at what they're
39 packaging there (or even use that archive, perhaps).