From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdepimlibs requiring -kdeprefix?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:32:16
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> posted
2 200901072311.14423.volkerarmin@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 07 Jan 2009 23:11:14 +0100:
4
5 > it is way easier to rm&untar one directoy, than to have to hunt down 213
6 > binary packages.
7
8 ... And you missed the vital bit, that for "live" packages the binpkgs
9 get overwritten at every update. Thus, the tarball idea, either tracking
10 down those 213 (using your number) binpkgs and tarballing or otherwise
11 archiving them so if the update screws them there's a fallback, or doing
12 the much less complex "let's just tarball the whole subtree, easy since
13 it's specific to the kde version anyway", becomes the only effective
14 backup for "live" packages that normally change each time they are merged.
15
16 I ran into this back when I was doing the pre-4.0 livepkgs. I normally
17 use binpkgs (and as I've posted numbers of times, consider them one of
18 portage's best-kept secrets) for the backup potential, among other
19 things, but it just doesn't work that way with "live" packages, so there,
20 if the "live" versions are changing as fast as KDE's have been and often
21 break as KDE's were at that point, one either has to devise and alternate
22 backup method, or will inevitably run into trouble at /some/ point.
23
24 That, in addition to the fact that to this point, KDE 4.x has simply been
25 too broken to really do much with for those of us that tend not to be
26 content with "the defaults", thus the reason KDE attracted us in the
27 /first/ place, has been a big reason I decided it wasn't worth the hassle
28 to keep the kde4 live versions running here, and unmerged them.
29
30 >> Personally I think it would be a lot simpler for users and us to only
31 >> have - kdeprefix in portage, and maintain live/snapshots that can
32 >> install into kdeprefixes. I myself maintain a stable installed in /usr/
33 >> and a live tree in /usr/kde/live...
34
35 That works just fine, until you try to have 3.x and 4.x installed
36 together. Then 3.x in its own prefix tries to use the 4.x settings in
37 the non-prefix /usr, and broken functionality ensues. There's a Gentoo
38 bug about that, that I'm sure most folks trying to run both are already
39 familiar with, but what I can't figure out is how upstream can live with
40 it being that broken, since they're the ones that keep saying use kde3
41 stuff where kde4 is still broken -- but when kde4 is breaking kde, that's
42 kind of difficult! Unless upstream has it working and something that
43 Gentoo's doing breaks it?
44
45 > so if you want to install 4.1 and 4.2 at the same time (because 4.2 will
46 > certainly be troublesome until .2 or .3) you are screwed?
47 >
48 > http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=123108542712650&w=2
49 >
50 > " - decide if we should provide +kdeprefix for stable releases and
51 > snapshots"
52 >
53 > sounds bad ... 'if' for snapshots... ? bad, bad.
54
55 Well, keep in mind that what they're discussing is NOT whether the flag
56 should be there, but whether it should default to enabled (+kdeprefix)
57 for those who don't have the flag set either way in make.conf. Thus, in
58 theory (there's that multi-hundred-package issue, but pre-set list files
59 that can be simply dropped in package.use help there), it should still be
60 possible for users to use package.use to set +kdeprefix as desired, thus
61 enabling them to run multiple versions if desired, no matter which way
62 the debate on kdeprefix default-use goes.
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman