From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kdepimlibs requiring -kdeprefix?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:11:27
1 On Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 07 January 2009 16:37:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday 07 January 2009 10:17:56 Mark Haney wrote:
5 > > > > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 > > > > > On Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009, Mark Haney wrote:
7 > > > > >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
8 > > > > >>> with kdeprefix everything lands in /usr/kde/<version> which is
9 > > > > >>> cool and usefull
10 > > > > >>>
11 > > > > >>> without kdeprefix everything ends in /usr which is stupid and
12 > > > > >>> hurts you if you want to try different kde versions - or have
13 > > > > >>> several versions installed so you can always go back easily when
14 > > > > >>> the newest one breaks. But it is FHS compliant.
15 > > > > >>>
16 > > > > >>> At the beginning gentoo was 'screw stupid standards, do the
17 > > > > >>> sensible thing' - but in the mean time the 'if there is a
18 > > > > >>> standard we have to adhere to it no matter how idiotic' crowd has
19 > > > > >>> got way to much power.
20 > > >
21 > > > I am apparently part of this crowd, but what you are saying seems to
22 > > > have a large amount of your opinion with a sprinkling of fact. Almost
23 > > > all other packages install into /usr and it is in fact a Gentoo policy
24 > > > that packages install into /usr and follow FHS where practical. This
25 > > > has been a policy for many years...
26 > > >
27 > > > Upstream does not support installing into prefixes and this has in fact
28 > > > made KDE difficult to support in the past, and has led to Gentoo
29 > > > specific bugs along with issues linking to the right libs etc...
30 > >
31 > > kde was once installed into /opt so it wouldn't clutter /usr - which I
32 > > always liked in the past. KDE didn't clutter /usr like gnome does. That
33 > > made it easy to find and change everything/something belonging to kde. So
34 > > when I arrived at gentoo and saw kde going to /usr/kde I was a happy
35 > > camper.
36 > >
37 > > At the moment I am using the live ebuilds - and it saved my ass several
38 > > times, that I can make an easy backup of it (just tar it up) before the
39 > > next upgrade. Same for the 4.1.8X versions. Heck, in the past, I backed
40 > > up 3.5 before every version upgrade too, just in case - and it was a good
41 > > thing to do so.
42 > >
43 > > Why adhere to a standard that *increases* clutter and makes it harder to
44 > > have several versions of an app installed?
45 >
46 > Because it makes KDE easier to maintain, it is the most widely tested way
47 > of installing KDE and the way upstream intended. You still have the option
48 > of using the kdeprefix if you wish to do so. For the normal user I totally
49 > believe that the -kdeprefix install is the best thing for them.
50 >
51 > Consider a typical situation where a user installs KDE 3.3, upgrades to
52 > 3.4, upgrades again to 3.5. Each time they install in a new slot and KDE
53 > eats up more and more disk space. The odd application still links to some
54 > of the older kdelibs that are no longer maintained. They recompile KDE
55 > 3.4.4 and 3.5.1 in an upgrade as they were both bumped but they only use
56 > the latest one.
57
58 it only eats 'more space' ones - when creating 3.5 parallel to 3.4.
59
60 And if you install directly into /usr you STILL have to recompile the odd app,
61 because it will be broken anyway after the update. So nothing one with an
62 installation directly into /usr. Just a lot lost.
65 > Consider the packaging issues associated with maintaining what are
66 > effectively multiple chroots that are very leaky... Consider we are
67 > volunteers and basically just want to get KDE working well. There are users
68 > like you who like tarring. You can just as easily make binary packages of
69 > installed KDE apps and quickly move back and forth that way.
70
71 it is way easier to rm&untar one directoy, than to have to hunt down 213
72 binary packages.
75 > Personally I think it would be a lot simpler for users and us to only have
76 > - kdeprefix in portage, and maintain live/snapshots that can install into
77 > kdeprefixes. I myself maintain a stable installed in /usr/ and a live tree
78 > in /usr/kde/live...
79
80 so if you want to install 4.1 and 4.2 at the same time (because 4.2 will
81 certainly be troublesome until .2 or .3) you are screwed?
82
83 http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=123108542712650&w=2
84
85 " - decide if we should provide +kdeprefix for stable releases and
86 snapshots"
87
88 sounds bad ... 'if' for snapshots... ? bad, bad.