From: Mike Bonar <mike.bonar@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Need advice on spin-down harddisk.
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:40:07
1 P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > Hi again,
3 >
4 > I am building a fileserver for our studio. The files going to be
5 > stored are audio files. Most will be in aiff, wav and mp3 files.
6 >
7 > I am using a software raid 5 over 15 drives. Using Western Digital
8 > drives because the sales man said that they are quieter.
9 >
10 > My setting for chuck size is 256K. Using ext3 for the filesystem. When
11 > creating the filesystem, the setting used was -b 4096 and -E stride=64.
12 >
13 > **Is the stride setting of 64 correct?
14 >
15 > We need the noise of the server to be as quite as possible. The speed
16 > of the server is not the most important issue.
17 >
18 > The cpu is Intel Core 2 duo. In the make.conf file the
19 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64". I was thinking of using some cpu frequency
20 > reducing application when there is no much access to the server. Plus
21 > I hope it will save some electricity.
22 >
23 > **Please advice if that is a good idea. If so which application should
24 > I use for the Intel Core 2 Duo running at 1.8. Some applications from
25 > the gentoo site are cpudyn, cpufreq, speedfreq and powernowd. Please
26 > advice which is most useful for this server.
27 >
28 > Last but not the least is the spinning down of the hard disk.
29 >
30 > **Is it a good idea to spin down the hard disk during low use? Will it
31 > spoil the hard disk? If it is a good idea, please let me know what is
32 > a good application to use.
33 >
34 > Requesting help to make some decisions on this. Please help where you
35 > can.
36 >
37 > P.V.Anthony
40 Hitachi has an excellent boot disk for tweaking acoustic properties for
41 all compatible drives.
42
43 http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
44
45 You can set the acoustic levels outside of the gentoo build. Hope this
46 helps.
47
48 Mike
49 --