From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: recommended USE flags
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:41:24
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200608121113.01942.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 12 Aug
3 2006 11:13:01 +0100:
4
5 > Examples:
6 >
7 > --
8 > ~ # grep wmf /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
9 > wmf - Adds support for the wmf vector image format
10 > ~ # grep X /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
11 > X - Adds support for X11
12 > --
13 >
14 > In the wmf case, only a small amount of code is affected, but in the X case
15 > you get the entire X Window System!
16 >
17 > Besides, the "adds support for foo" construction reminds me of BASIC
18 > programs we used to see 25 years ago, in which the programmer had included
19 > such gems as:
20 >
21 > LET X=0; REM set X to 0
22
23 /Yah!/ Those sorts of programs are always "interesting"! :(
24 Unfortunately, the USE flag thing likewise.
25
26 > What's needed is a brief explanation of what including foo implies, and I
27 > thought a plan was in place to do that. I'd be happy to help out with such
28 > an effort.
29
30 The trouble, IMO, is in global vs. local flags. "Support for X", fine,
31 and as varied as that support might be, that's about as detailed as one
32 can get in use.desc and stay accurate for all packages. What's actually
33 needed is a use.local.desc that includes all packages with all flag
34 listings and a description of what each does in each package. If it
35 means building against xlib, thus not only forcing xlib and its
36 dependencies in, but potentially meaning the program won't run if X is
37 hosed (the reason I have -X in package.use for links, I want it to
38 function as a text browser even -- /especially/ -- when X isn't working,
39 tho X support would be nice, it's not critical as is the functionality
40 when X fails), that's /entirely/ different than simply including a few
41 icons and a *.desktop file, when USE=X, excluding them when USE=-X.
42
43 Another example is net-nntp/pan, which I have some personal knowledge of
44 as I'm not only using it to post this message, but I'm involved upstream.
45 The new 0.1xx betas of the 1.0 to be released probably early next month,
46 make use of USE=gnome to determine whether to pull in and build against
47 gnomelib (which pulls in a whole host of other gnome foundation
48 dependencies) or not. However, the link against gnomelib is used for only
49 /one/, that's 1 as in /only/ one, thing -- whether pan checks the
50 configured gnome browser or uses the $BROWSER environmental variable.
51 That's /all/ it uses it for. Now even some folks using gnome may prefer
52 the flexibility of using the $BROWSER var, thus allowing pan to be
53 configured for a browser other than that configured for gnome.
54 Additionally, it may be useful to keep such a trival libgnome linkage out,
55 as with the links/X example above, so pan can continue to be used with
56 other desktop environments if gnome is screwed up for some reason or
57 another.
58
59 If gnome support meant something rather fancier, say integration of some
60 gnome applets or something, or at least use of the gnome mimetype database
61 to determine what to run for all sorts of stuff, not just the browser,
62 that's rather different than simple browser-choice-determination-only
63 support, and it'd be nice if there were some way to say exactly what the
64 USE=gnome actually did.
65
66 Be that as it may, I don't believe anything of the sort is likely to
67 happen for Gentoo in general. Maybe ufed or similar will integrate such
68 detailed explanations at some point (I've never used it, maybe it does
69 now?), but I've seen nothing on gentoo-dev suggesting there's a movement
70 to support such a thing in general, and I'm sure I would have if there
71 were serious discussion of such a thing.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
79 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list