From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] recommended USE flags
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:18:03
1 On Friday 11 August 2006 23:01, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > install ufed
4 >
5 > as root:
6 > ufed
7 >
8 > then go down the list, read the descripition, think about it, decide,
9 > next flag, read descriptition, think about it, decide ...
10
11 I remember reading of a proposed overhaul of the USE flag documentation; has
12 anything come of that? At the moment, many flags are described as "adds
13 support for foo", but that is woefully inadequate. In some cases it means
14 the inclusion of some extra code in packages to handle the data specified
15 by the USE flag, whereas in others it implies a wholesale inclusion of
16 reams of packages. Examples:
19 ~ # grep wmf /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
20 wmf - Adds support for the wmf vector image format
21 ~ # grep X /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
22 X - Adds support for X11
25 In the wmf case, only a small amount of code is affected, but in the X case
26 you get the entire X Window System!
27
28 Besides, the "adds support for foo" construction reminds me of BASIC
29 programs we used to see 25 years ago, in which the programmer had included
30 such gems as:
31
32 LET X=0; REM set X to 0
33
34 What's needed is a brief explanation of what including foo implies, and I
35 thought a plan was in place to do that. I'd be happy to help out with such
36 an effort.
39 Rgds
40 Peter
41 --